One of the mandate of regulation number 41 on 1999 about forestry at 48 article 5 paragraph is To unsure the implementation of forest protection properly, the local community is participated in the effort of forest protection. The participation of the local community and other components are formed if the local community has had awareness about the preservation of forest resources effort importance with an active role as well. One of efforts is through the forest protection and securing action around their environment.
OIC consortium has formed forest team patrol through the training of forest securing team patrol with local community on 11th-14th November, taken place in Sayum Sabah Training centre, Sibolangit, Deli Serdang district, North Sumatra. This event was implemented as the corporate realisation among BBTNGL, BBKSDA North Sumatra, UPT Tahura Bukit Barisan at the preservation effort of Leuser ecosystem Karo-Langkat Block.
This training was followed by 40 participants who consisted of rangers (Polhut) and local community from 4 vilaages in Langkat district (Halaban village, Sei Musam village, Timbang Lawan, and Telegah) and 2 villages in Karo district (Kuta Gunung and Kuta Rakyat) which represented from Balai Besar Taman Nasional Gunung Leuser, Balai Besar Konservasi Sumber Daya Alam Sumatera Utara and UPT Bukit Barisan.
After the training, the team will patrol in each of the areas; they are TNGL forest (Sei Betung resort, Tangkahan, Bukit Lawang and Bekancan), TWA Deleng Lancung, TWA Lau Debuk-Debuk, and Tahura Bukit Barisan with the total patrolled area approximately 112.000 Ha that spread in Leuser Ecosystem area (KEL) Karo-Langkat Block. The inaugural petrol is scheduled on this coming December.
The training began with the opening by the Head of Balai Besar TNGL, who was represented by the head of STPN VI Besitang Tuahman Raya.
During the training, the materials that were presented to the participants as followed:
- The regulation of law about forestry, natural biodiversity resources and the ecosystems, forest protection by Joko Iswanto, head of protection, preservation, and mapping section, Balai Besar KSDA Sumut.
- Area Stakeholders policy at the forest protection and securing in conservation area by Tuahman Raya, The head of TN VI Besitang Management.
- Investigation in forest protection and securing, delivered by Herman Siallagan from SPORC (Emergency Ranger association) MAcan Tutul Brigade.
- Legal review and active role of local community on law enforcement at forestry, delivered by Kombespol D. Sinuraya as The director of Sabhara North Sumatra police department.
This event was facilitated by Khairul Azmi (Policy practitioners and partnership of forestry) and Dedi Kiswayadi (FFI Aceh staff). During the training, the facilitator also described some materials, such as:
- Planning and Forest securing operation patrol technique.
- Introduction of Land navigation, survival and patrol in forest area
- Using GPS and data analysis technique
- Documentation of patrol activity and report organizing
Hopefully, with the forming of the team patrol, it can be the simulation efforts of protection and securing the Leuser ecosystem area in Karo-Langkat Block.