The Conservation Digital Opportunity Centres (CDOCs) were established in December 2009 and are managed by the Orangutan Information Centre (OIC). The two centres, located in Bukit Lawang Eco Tourism Area at the Bukit Lawang Housing Complex and the Tangkahan Eco Tourism Visitor Centre, are a joint initiative between the Bamboo Community University Association (BCUA) Taiwan, Taiwan Economic Trade Office (TETO), Gunung Leuser National Park (GLNP), Tangkahan Tourism Institute (LPT) and the Langkat Guide Association (LGA).
The main goal of CDOCs is to develop a successful working model on how to apply information and communication technologies on rainforest and orangutan conservation as well as environment education for local communities living adjacent to Gunung Leuser National Park, a UNESCO Tropical Rainforest Heritage of Sumatra. GLNP is one of the richest tropical rainforests in Indonesia inscribed as the world heritage together with Kerinci Seblat National Park and Bukit Barisan National Park. It lies in Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam and North Sumatera Provinces covering 1.094.692 hectares. Tangkahan and Bukit Lawang Ecotourism Areas exploit the beauty of nature as well as flora and fauna diversity as to enjoying and learning media for the coming visitors. Recently, ecotourism development in these area is needed as to promote to the conservation efforts for the sustainability of the GLNP.
CDOC – MoU Signing:
The CDOC aims to:
- Increase both ecotourism guide and local community capacity to develop ecotourism through IT media.
- Be the local hub for IT training activities and online publications for GLNP community groups around Bukit Lawang and Tangkahan.
- Be a conservation information centre together with the community groups to promote awareness of the importance of GLNP, conservation and ecoutourism.
Each CDOC is an environmental and information technology learning facility for locals, and visitors alike, to engage in local conservation issues and promote awareness. Facilities and services include:
- Free computer, Internet training and ongoing support to the local community and Eco Tourism Guides.
- Donation based Internet services for visitors.
- Community Library and information resources.
- A Mobile Awareness Unit Library with Internet facilities, which will travel to some villages bordering the GLNP area.
- Website support for local Institute.
Please feel free to contact and meet our CDOC staff in Bukit Lawang and Tangkahan if you need to obtain our CDOC services.
CDOC – Tangkahan:
CDOC – Bukit Lawang: